The Arts & Music
The Arts and Music At The New North Academy we are really passionate about the power of The Arts and how this can impact standards across the curriculum. The advantages of a high quality Arts and music experience cover all sorts of areas including developing resilience, discipline, teamwork, joy, fun, a sense of achievement and confidence; all key qualities for successful adulthood.
Music at NNA
We are committed to ensuring that all children across the school receive and participate in high quality music learning. From September 2018 we are embedding the NNA Music Promise across the Academy:
- Every child at NNA will have access to weekly, high quality music teaching that is provided by their class teacher through support from a music specialist
- Every child will learn an instrument; percussion at EYFS and KS1 and will be given the choice to learn either the flute, violin, viola or cello in Years 4, 5 and 6. This tuition will be provided in small groups by instrumental music specialists
- Every child will take part in a weekly music assembly
- Every child will be given the opportunity to demonstrate their music learning through at least one informal and one formal performance opportunity per term
- Every child will experience at least one cultural experience per term that will enhance their musical learning
- Every child will be given the opportunity to take part in further music enrichment activities
- Children who show aptitude and commitment to music will be given focused tuition to prepare them for ABRSM music exams
- We will provide opportunities for our families and the wider community to experience music making alongside children at NNA
We are very proud to continue our partnership with the Guildhall School of Music so that we can offer children the chance to attend the Guildhall Young Artists Programme at Highbury Grove School every week. The children will be able to attend a two hour session working with teachers from the prestigious Guildhall school through singing and playing in an orchestra with other children in Islington schools. They will also be given the opportunity to attend music courses and performances during the holidays with the Guildhall.
Music outside the classroom
We are keen that our children learn beyond the classroom and that we capitalise on the huge array of activities, culture and opportunities our capital city has to offer. We aim for children and families to be exposed to great art and experiences that will help them broaden their understanding of the world around us. We are sure too that this will also enable children to become inspired by The Arts.
Music at NNA | Term 1
Years 1 and 2
- Trip to a concert by the London Mozart Players. The concert has specially written songs that relate to their curriculum topic of The Great Fire of London.
Years 3 and 4
- A trip to the Albert Hall to see ‘A Classical Spectacular.
- Christmas concert accompanied by visiting professional musicians
- Christmas concert in our local church, St John’s, accompanied by professional musicians